2.2.11

Frodo Likes Rye Pale Ale - Elijah Jackson RPA

I share a birthday with Frodo Baggins, Jackson Pollack and St. Thomas Aquinas. Frodo is a hero (ask a hobbit, any will tell you), Pollack was an amazing artist and Aquinas sadly inspired too many people with his idiocy. In honor of Elijah, Jackson, and my birthday; I bring you Elijah Jackson Rye Pale Ale. Forget about St. Thomas Aquinas; he sucks.

The Rye Pale Ale style has to be my favorite. As much as I enjoyed the standard pale ale, the spiciness of the rye along with the hop character of a pale ale is heaven in a glass. What I am doing is taking a recipe, similar to what I made here, and mashing flaked rye and raw rye berries along with the standard bohemian pilsner grain. They say it helps to pre-cook the flaked rye into an oatmeal type of consistency, then add it to the sparge. I have done this and I have just added the flaked rye uncooked to the sparge and see little difference in results.

When I go to bottle this one, I am going to amp this up just a bit more. For a month I have been soaking 2 tablespoons of peppercorns in a cup of bourbon. I took a sip of this on brew day to see how it was coming along and it was off the chain spicy. I have had good luck with adding pepper to beer in the past (need to post my Saison experience) and I think this will hit the spot.

Here is what the Recipator says about the recipe.


Elijah Jackson RPA

Brewer: Scott Email: -
Beer: Elijah Jackson RPA Style: Rye Pale Ale
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color:
8 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 23 IBU
OG: 1.060 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 6.5% v/v (5.1% w/w)
Grain: 1 lb. German Pilsner

8 oz. Flaked rye


8 oz. Rye (raw)
Boil: minutes SG 1.121 2.5 gallons
6 lb. Light malt extract


1 lb. Belgian candi sugar

2 oz. Molasses
Hops: 1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)

1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 45 min.)

1 oz. Cascade (aroma)

This table generated by The Beer Recipator.




O.G. was 1.060, so it was dead on. I pitched this with Fermentis' Safbrew S-33 yeast. I haven't used this particular yeast strain before, but have had lots of good beers from Fermentis' products.

I will let you know the results in a month or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment