21.2.11

Tasting of the What's In a Name - New Year Pale Ale

So it has been a couple weeks since I bottled the Pale Ale and it is time for an official tasting. Of course I have already tried a few in the run up to the tasting, with the hopeful notion that it would be ready for business, but the beer still hadn't settled out and had a overpowering citrus aroma. So after a few weeks in the bottle here goes:


Smell – The first reaction is still citrus and herb, yet a bit more subdued than I recall when the beer was initially tasted after 1 week. The cascade hops still present an an initially overpowering experience, but I think a couple more weeks in the bottle will help with that.

Taste – The taste is refreshing, almost like that of a cyclist (beer and lemonade). There is very little noticeable sugar/malt sensation, but a large amount of bitter on the back of the tongue characteristic of some hopier beers. This beer was made with 3 oz. of Cascade hops @ 60, 30 and flame out times. There is a bitter aftertaste to the beer, yet it doesn't spoil the experience. I feel as if I want another sip.

Mouthfeel – The beer is light and refreshing with minimal malty character, only enough to remind you it is a beer. The attenuation was high and thus most sugars were converted to alcohol. The 1.010 FG was a bit more than I expected but am enjoying the light refreshing character.

Drinkability & Notes – The beer is definitely drinkable. The appearance is still a bit cloudy, either a result of chill haze or the fall out hasn't finished happening. I am not experienced enough to know the difference yet. The head upon pouring was a nice 1/2 inch that tapered down to a thin clean film of bubbles. As I was drinking the beer, I noticed lots of CO2 produced as I was tilting the glass towards my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment