4.11.09

Batch Number 8. Really Light Pale Ale - Suggest A Name?



Cat approves of the finished product.

I made up a beer recipe that I thought I would be embarrassed to admit to making up. I wanted a really light, but bitter pale ale type of beer so I used rice syrup solids for some of my fermentable sugars. What I ended up with was something that I was surprised to say I really liked and has been well received by some other beer lovers.

The beer has a really light color at ~6 HCU's, a nice bitterness to it at around 41 IBU's and ended up with a ~5% alcohol by volume.

Here is the batch ingredients for a 4 gallon batch size:

- 4 lbs. light malt extract
- 1.5 lbs. rice syrup solids
- 2 oz. cascade hops
- 1 oz. goldings hops
- 1 pkt. Mutton's yeast
- bit of Irish moss

Pretty standard instructions:
- bring 3 gal. H2O to boil
- turn off heat
- add sugars
- turn on heat
- add hops at 60, 45 and 15 mins. into the boil
- add Irish Moss at 15 mins. left to aid in clarification.
- cool in carboy or bucket and add yeast at optimal yeast temperature
- ferment 1-2 weeks or until F.G. gets down to 1.010 or so.
- bottle and wait

Oh wait...relax....have a home brew through at least 100% of these instructions.

So, for the future, I am going to make a 5 gal. batch and change a few things about the recipe trying to give it a bit more hop as well as more sugar to increase the alcohol content as well as the flavor a bit. My idea is that the rice will add sugar for fermentation, but that sugar won't be adding too much in the way of flavor, kind of like an American Macrobrew but the hop will let you know that it definitely isn't that! I am also trying to achieve a high rate of attenuation and would like most of the sugars to be converted to alcohol for a dry crisp taste.

- 5 lbs. light malt extract
- 3 lbs. rice syrup solids
- 3 oz. cascade hops
- 2 oz. goldings hops
- 1 pkt. muttons dry yeast
- Irish Moss

I am going to dry hop 1 oz of the goldings hops in a secondary fermentation vessel for a week. The rest of the hops will be added at 60, 45, 30 and 15 mins. Otherwise pretty similar, with just a bit more fermentable sugar per batch size than what I did before.

Conversions were done using the Beer Recipator 2.2.

As I get this recipe tweaked out, I will be trying to think of a name. Anyone has any suggestions, send it my way.

As usual, pics to follow some time soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment