8.11.09

Batch Number 9. Northern Brewer's Breakfast Stout

Brewed batch number 9 today, which was an inexpensive kit from Norther Brewer. The kit was the Breakfast Stout and was one of their cheapest kits available at $19.95. Initial brew day impressions are positive. The wort smelled great and my new home made wort chiller worked like a champ, cooling the 200 degree wort down in less than 10 minutes to a yeast-pitchable-ready 85 degrees.


Beer in the closet! I can't wait till it comes out!

Here are the kit's ingredients:

1.5 lbs. Flaked Oats
0.5 lbs. Simpson's Roasted Barley
3.5 lbs. Dark Malt Syrup
1.0 lbs. Lactose (non-fermenting sugar)
1 oz. Willamette Hops
1 pkt. Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
* 1+ Cup Molasses

* My addition. Really like the way it makes the beer taste and smell, especially since this is a breakfast beer.

Everything else is pretty standard, steep, boil, ferment, bottle, drink!

O.G. is 1.044

Just a note that this came out about 0.014 more than the recipe specified. I don't think that 1 cup of Molasses would add that much and I bet I didn't add enough H2O to my carboy. Darn the bad luck, guess we will see what happens. Pics. and F.G. will be posted in due time. Check back later.

Here are the results of this brew!

No comments:

Post a Comment