31.1.10

Building my Own Rye Pale Ale

The move to the south has led me to discover some new great beers, one of which is Terrapin Beer's, Rye Pale Ale. They are a brewery from not too far off in Athens' Georgia. The brew is very tasty, begging to be served with something spicy. One of the fun parts of learning about new brews is that sometimes I find something I want to try brewing myself.

I am already fond of my own Pale Ale recipe, so what if I mixed it up a bit steeping a pound of malted rye along with a half pound of honey malted barley and a quarter pound of rice hulls. On the sugar side of things, 6 lbs. of golden malt extract and a pound or two of sugar in the raw to boost the alcohol yet not add any additional flavoring. As with the SPA, I am trying to achieve a pretty light beer, with lots of alcohol and lots of bitter and flavorful hop to it. I have most of the ingredients for this one, just a matter of time before I get around to brewing it. The biggest hurdle might be emptying some bottles. That means enjoying some brew!


Scott's Rye PA

Brewer: Scottieie Email: -
Beer: Scott's Rye PA Style: American Pale Ale
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color:
8 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 50 IBU
OG: 1.068 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 7.5% v/v (5.9% w/w)
Grain: 12 oz. Belgian pale

1 lb. Flaked rye
Boil: minutes SG 1.113 3 gallons
6 lb. Light malt extract

2 lb. Cane sugar
Hops: 1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)

1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)

1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)

1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 15 min.)





This web page generated by The Beer Recipator.


No comments:

Post a Comment