22.1.10

Scott's Pale Ale - Redux - The Brew

Batch 13: Since I brewed this beer last summer I have wanted to revisit this brew and now I have my chance. My goal is a light hoppy brew with a very light color, a high percent alcohol and lots of hop bitterness.



Scott's Pale Ale


Brewer: Scottieie Email: -
Beer: Scott's Pale Ale Style: American Pale Ale
Type: Extract Size: 5 gallons
Color:
7 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 47 IBU
OG: 1.058 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 6.2% v/v (4.9% w/w)
Boil: minutes SG 1.097 3 gallons
6 lb. Light malt extract

2 lb. Rice extract
Hops: 1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)

1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 45 min.)

1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)

1 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 15 min.)




This recipe was generated by The Beer Recipator.


Comments: Wow, the pilsner malt was a lot lighter than I had anticipated and it will be a very light brew. The next time I brew this beer, I am going to subtract one pound of the rice syrup solids with 1 lbs. of carapils malt barley and and 1/2 lbs. of rice hulls. My guess is the carapils will add some extra flavor to the brew and the hulls will add some head to the beer. Of course I don't have the full scoop on how the beer will turn out, but will save that for a later post. My O.G. turned out to be 1.062 a tad higher than the 1.058 anticipated by the recipator.

Brew date: 1/16/10
Batch #: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment