15.1.10

Dark Honey Hefe'

Batch number 12 in the brew log.....

I have no idea how to leave well enough alone. I had a Northern Brewer, Bavarian Hefeweizen kit. Should be simple enough right. Follow directions, make beer. Yum!

Not me. I looked through the shelves and found honey begging to be added to the batch. I had some grains (1/2 lbs. cracked dark wheat and 1/2 lbs. cracked Simpson's Chocolate Malt) left over from another brew that I didn't use. I have had a dark wheat beer before and thought it was great. Now if I can get a good flavor combination from the phenols created by the yeast, the floral aromas from the honey and a bit of that chocolaty malt taste I might be on to something!

What did I end up making?


El Hefe's Bavarian Dark Honey Hefeweizen

Brewer:
Scottieie
Email:
-
Beer:
Bavarian Dark Honey Hefe'
Style:
Weizen/Weissbier
Type:
Extract w/grain
Size:
5 gallons
Color:
50 HCU (~22 SRM)

Bitterness:
14 IBU
OG:
1.063
FG:
1.010
Alcohol:
6.8% v/v (5.4% w/w)
Grain:
8 oz. British chocolate

8 oz. Flaked wheat
Boil:
minutes
SG 1.105
3 gallons
7 lb. Wheat extract

1 lb. Honey
Hops:
1 oz. Spalt (6.75% AA, 60 min.)

Everything was brewed as you normally would, but in an effort to retain the honey flavors, I added the honey with only 5 minutes left in the boil. Boiling has a tendency to ruin these flavors and I wanted all the honey fragrance and flavor I could get.

Who really knows how this one will pan out, but the wort tasted nice. O.G. came in at 1.060, pretty close to what the recipator above had and it is in the coat closet for two weeks of seclusion with brief visits to observe bubblage activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment