23.1.10

Northern Brewer's Big Honkin' Stout - Slightly Bastardized

Once again, I can't leave well enough alone. I bastardize every recipe I can get my hands on. Betty Crocker says to try it like this, I add something else for kicks. Most of the time success. Sometimes total failure, but I have a good feeling about this recipe. This one is a Northern Brewer kit. I haven't brewed a high gravity beer yet and this one seemed like just the one. My only addition was 1/2 lbs. of rolled oats. I like that silky feeling they create in a stout and I hope I get just enough to let me know it is there, but not enough to detract from the fact that it is a borderline imperial stout.




Big Honkin' Stout - Bastardized (Slightly)



Brewer: Scottieie Email: -
Beer: Big Honkin' Stout - Bastardized (Slightly) Style: Imperial Stout
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color:
177 HCU
Bitterness: 38 IBU
OG: 1.072 FG: 1.020
Alcohol: 6.7% v/v (5.2% w/w)
Grain: 4 oz. British pale
4 oz. American crystal 40L
8 oz. British black patent
8 oz. Roasted barley
8 oz. Rolled oats
Boil: minutes SG 1.119 3 gallons
9 lb. Dark malt extract
Hops: 2 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 15 min.)

This web page generated by The Beer Recipator.



Brew Date: 1/22/10
Batch #: 14
O.G. 1.072, on par with the Recipator. Yeah!
Initial Reactions: Wow, I have created the thickest, most viscous fluid I have ever had the pleasure to brew. It looked like burnt motor oil, the kind you get when you haven't changed your oil in 10,000 miles. I can only imagine the Dionysian orgy that is going to take place in my fermentation vessel. Sodom and Gomorrah shall reign in my carboy.The wort's taste and smell were spectacular and I can only guess what the finished product is going to bring.

The plan is to ferment in primary for 2 weeks or so. Rack in a secondary for another month or two, then bottle. A beer like this should have time to age and I intend on giving it space to become what it wants to be, almost an imperial stout.

I am guessing that after I bottle I will try it in a couple weeks, but I bet this one will be one that will really be ready in the fall. It might have to sit in the brew cabinet for a while for the flavor to develop fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment